Secret Ponchos - BLC-inspired arena PvP game - free weekend

This is for general chat about things not related to The Exiled.
dbltnk
Game Developer

Secret Ponchos - BLC-inspired arena PvP game - free weekend

Postby dbltnk » 15 Dec 2015, 16:42

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265750/

What do you guys think about it? There are obvious similarities to DT in the control and targeting systems.

Lustmord
Harbinger Supporter

Re: Secret Ponchos - BLC-inspired arena PvP game - free weekend

Postby Lustmord » 17 Dec 2015, 10:13

I like the graphics and art.. but there's some pretty heavy input delay.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 17 Dec 2015, 12:28

Yeah I also found the controls a bit sluggish (they obviously care a lot about animation quality) and I was not a big fan of the lowered rotation speed while shooting.

How was targeting for you?

Lustmord
Harbinger Supporter

Postby Lustmord » 17 Dec 2015, 13:00

dbltnk wrote:
How was targeting for you?

I didn't want to mention it, because it could just be from a lack of practice...
but the targeting felt off for me too.

First off, the little line thing in front of your character doesn't stand out enough. There were a few times I though it was a sure hit but missed.
But again, probably just lack of practice on my end.

I didn't care for the Q to switch attacks, and how long it takes to charge some attacks.

For example, I tried the trapper guy, and I hit someone with a trap and stunned him.. Then I had to press Q to switch back to my gun and then hold right click to aim, and fire.. and by the time I got through all that the stun was gone.

Another example is the cavalry guy, and his bayonet attack. If I wanted to use it, I would have to press Q to switch to it, charge it up, and release it, then hit Q again to go to my main attack.... but I was never able to hit anyone with the bayonet attack to begin with.

I only played a couple rounds.
One round, we went up again 3 of those guys with the Skull faces and whips, and they seemed to have better range with their whips than a rifle.

But yeah.. probably just lack of practice on my end.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 17 Dec 2015, 13:40

Mirrors my experience quite well.

One thing I noticed is that they hit box for the character is effectively a circle around their feet so very often I would aim at someones's head or upper body and miss completely.

What do you think about the keep RMB-pressed-and-then-use-LMB-to-shoot mechanic?

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 17 Dec 2015, 14:57

Been playing for a while now and I must say I love the dodge roll mechanic. Lots of fun and interesting trade-offs. Need to move this up in our dev priority. =D

Lustmord
Harbinger Supporter

Postby Lustmord » 17 Dec 2015, 20:59

dbltnk wrote:Been playing for a while now and I must say I love the dodge roll mechanic. Lots of fun and interesting trade-offs. Need to move this up in our dev priority. =D

Yes, before I fell asleep last night I made a note to myself to come back and say something positive, and this is exactly what I was going to say.

I also like the CTRL for take cover mechanic, but I wasn't able to make it useful. The one time I tried it, was because I was out of evade, and the guy just ran around the obstacle and shot me anyways. :lol:

As for the Right-Click to aim deal, I think it's a little cumbersome, but it's appropriate for the quick-draw wild west theme of the game, so it's something worth getting used to.

Return to “Off Topic & Other Games”