How Would You Build Your Character?

Discuss your favorite character builds and team compositions.
Emissary

How Would You Build Your Character?

Postby Emissary » 01 Apr 2014, 09:03

Das Tal allows the mixing and matching of armor and weapon types, so I wanted to see what sort of combinations people would like to try out when they get in game and start building their first character.

In our previous combat prototype, we had 3 different weapons and 3 different armor types, Bow, Scythe, Staff and Robes, Hide and Splint. But I don't want to restrict people's description to these 6, so go all out and describe how you would set up your perfect character, the skills they would have and how they would play.

I personally always prefer playing a sharpshooter sort of role with the characters I play, whether it is a sniper or scout in an FPS or an archer in more fantasy type games. My perfect build would be very light armor in order to stay light and allow for quick movement, and a high damage bow build for single, accurate shots. Throw in a little bit of utility and I am happy. This sort of build only really works for me if I am playing with people I can team up with, but that is how I prefer to play anyhow.

I am interested to see how you guys would build a character also!

dbltnk
Game Developer

Re: How Would You Build Your Character?

Postby dbltnk » 01 Apr 2014, 11:56

I tend to play two main characters: For solo-PvP and scouting I play a similar archer character than you do. High range, high speed, lots of crowd control (snare, root, mez) and preferably some sort of invisibility.

For large-scale PVP I like to play a sturdy kind of healer / CC char. Someone who can both keep large amounts of allies alive and large amounts of enemies stunned/mezzed. Think of the priest in Shadowbane or DAoC.

Oh and then sometimes I tend to play gimicky characters of some sort (Axe-wielding rangers, dagger warriors) ... pretty sure I'll be able to do the same in Das Tal when I actually find the time to play our game. =D

hagish
Game Developer

Postby hagish » 02 Apr 2014, 12:11

Most of the time I play ranged or support chars. In the GW1 arena my most selected class was monk (heal and sometimes protection).
In our combat proto I really liked the scythe but all in all playing a squishy melee class is a guaranteed fail - on my side ;) . And I hate slow chars - tanky or not. Playing them feels like being stunned all the time. So no slow walking speed for me.

grayfox
Alpha Tester

Postby grayfox » 02 Apr 2014, 22:23

hm.. i always play rogue like characters. stealthy , very fast and deadly. I dont know what kind of weapons there gonna be so its hard to say for me what im gonna make it but if there are daggers or swords definitly my type
We are not Tools for the Goverment.

Emissary

Postby Emissary » 02 Apr 2014, 23:57

Well I suppose, if you could build your rogue however you liked, how would you build it? Would you prefer dual daggers, or a single sword with a free hand for things like poison darts and utility items? It is up to your imagination :D The weapons we had in older prototypes were reasonably limited, so we are still very much deciding on what will be in the game.

grayfox
Alpha Tester

Postby grayfox » 03 Apr 2014, 00:55

for armour i can say light armour or medium (light better though) so that i can be fast to track my foe and assassinate him. Weapons either dualwield daggers or longsword (or both like swapping weapon system for any occation i can get in) and maybe throwing knives to slow the enemy.

as for abilities : assassination , throwing daggers, stealth or teleportation , you can have a spell that toggles on or off and when it is on you have 30% (or any % you guys think its cool) to dodge enemy attacks and make some animation of some sort :P

thats what i can think of right now :P my mind is tired xD
We are not Tools for the Goverment.

Reamun

Postby Reamun » 18 Apr 2014, 23:00

I would try to play a heavy full tank with shield and sword to be able to take as much dmg as possible without dieing. Of yours there should be skills or possibilities to hold aggro from mobs or force PvP enemies to attack you.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 23 Apr 2014, 14:45

Reamun wrote:Of yours there should be skills or possibilities to hold aggro from mobs or force PvP enemies to attack you.

I wouldn't bet on it. We're not going to implement pure PvE abilities such as taunt as I want every skill in our repertoire to be useful in PvP - which is the focus of the game. But there are a lot of people - like you - who enjoy playing protective chars (tanks) in PvP, too, so we'll find some ways for you to defend your team mates without resorting to taunt-like abilities. DAoC had a "blocking for others" mechanic, we might have something even more fun:

What's awesome about our combat system is that you actually have to physically land each blow, arrow or fire bolt in order to damage an enemy. So while you might not be able to force an enemy to directly attack you, you could for example make your character grow in size, throw on your fire resistance buff and just sprint in between the enemy mage and your team to block and absorb all those hits - maybe even reflect them abck if your timing is perfect. Then you charge in and knock him half a screen away. That's the kind of defender archetype character I see in our game. Sounds fun to me, what do you think?

frd2009

Postby frd2009 » 27 Apr 2014, 22:58

i always play assasins or slayers.

Swords, Daggers is a must! :lol:

Lustmord
Harbinger Supporter

Postby Lustmord » 16 May 2014, 21:26

I generally like life-draining type characters, a meaty sorceror type who can steal life while doing damage.
I would really like a concept of bone armor to go with his, much like the diablo necromancer, but I don't care for raising the dead or having pets.

To use World of Warcraft as an example, that game was at it's prime for me when it had Demon Sacrifice for Warlocks, and I could sacrifice my pet to get go solo and have crazy power life drains or life regen.

In Bloodline Champions, I really like the Gunner for it's long range and CC abilities.

Return to “Character Builds & Spec Groups”