Post-Steam Release Feedback

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
Lash

Post-Steam Release Feedback

Postby Lash » 24 Feb 2017, 20:04

Hi I thought I'd give some (constructive) feedback, as a new player, and perhaps others could too regarding the game in its current form, in an effort to help out the game devs in Early Access.

Combat: Very interesting. I don't mind that it isn't completely intuitive, as that can mean there is flexibility for quite a lot of depth. One such example of things being not being intuitive is how AOE targetting spells (non projectile) interact with multiple characters and selecting the single target.

Language: It took me a while to realize that "ability speed" means "cast speed", including some reading of the official wiki which wasn't obvious either. The term cooldown speed is obvious at least. Perhaps you could change "ability speed" to the more common "cast speed" for it?

Movement: It's quite annoying getting stuck on rocks. The main reason for the rocks being an issue is that they are very hard to see and all movement stops. Even if you see them, adjusting motion for every rock is a bit of a hassle. Perhaps a soft solution would be to allow some form of automatic motion around a rock/object. So that if you move into a rock, there is an automatic sliding across it based on the rock surface / player contact angle (with straight forward contact solved by choosing a random direction).

Another issue is that it isn't clear what passable and impassable terrain is without trial and error, with you getting stuck on terrain much like you get stuck on rocks. Especially with foreground trees blocking vision or some rocks/bushes. This isn't such a big issue if we could also slide as per the rock sliding suggestion. Perhaps a stronger indication of what is impassable would be good too, like a strong dark color or black outline to make this clear (on the minimap or directly on the field).

Events: I like the carcass and caravan events. The meteor event is a bit boring, especially since you have seen it all in the tutorial as well. While it is a DPS check to get rid of the eggs/frogs which want to kill the meteor, there isn't a sense of danger since nothing is attacking you. The caravan event at least resource capture and defense is a part of it.

My idea would be to have random areas around the meteor go on fire (which change during the 5 minute defense time), and you take Damage Over Time while you stand in it, perhaps to fit with the meteor/fire theme. These shoot out from the meteor site. This way you have to avoid the fire on the ground, and still have to destroy the eggs. I would prefer to destroy something other than eggs/frogs as well, as this seems kind of theme breaking. Perhaps some kind of fire-beast which pops from mini-meteorite rocks, which also shoot out from the meteor with an animation (much like the existing eggs). They then lumber to the meteor and explode, causing damage to the meteor (much like the exploding frogs).

I'll update this with more as I play more and explore more of the game content. I really hope this game does well.
Last edited by Lash on 28 Feb 2017, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Lash

Re: Post-Steam Release Feedback

Postby Lash » 25 Feb 2017, 09:25

Interface: In the Dojo and in your skill bar at the bottom of the screen, the adjusted cooldown and cast speed of the spells would be nice to see. At the moment you have to trial and error through all your skills to see what the cooldown and cast speed are. This would be nice to know beforehand so you can more directly compare the skills. Perhaps this is a design intention so things like DPS aren't immediately calculable.

Valesia

Postby Valesia » 25 Feb 2017, 17:42

Lash wrote:Interface: In the Dojo and in your skill bar at the bottom of the screen, the adjusted cooldown and cast speed of the spells would be nice to see. At the moment you have to trial and error through all your skills to see what the cooldown and cast speed are. This would be nice to know beforehand so you can more directly compare the skills. Perhaps this is a design intention so things like DPS aren't immediately calculable.

They somehow scrapped it out in the new UI to make it more compact I think?
I'm not sure why, because it is really important, and old UI had this.

Lash

Postby Lash » 27 Feb 2017, 12:52

Team-based Combat: As the game shifts to a resource control meta-game, there are instances where knowing friend from foe, especially in a game with friendly fire, is especially important. At the moment, it can be incredibly difficult to tell apart friend vs. foe in even a 2v2 (but they are sometimes 7v7 or more) scenario where resource point control is at stake. I propose that the green clan member indicator (designated by the green downward facing chevron), be placed not just in the minimap or map, but right above the players head for clan mates.

Clan friend/enemy tools: Likewise, if a clan has been designated as hostile against another clan or individual, that could have a red downward facing chevron above their head in the game (not in minimap or map) when applied by the clan leader or recruiter within the clan. This can be used as a clan-wide indicator that another clan or individual is not friends with the clan. Otherwise, everyone else is neutral. This will allow the clan to track who has given issue to the clan easier. Each designated enemy could have a "reason" associated with it, so we can avoid abuse, and discuss this attribute among the clan, in case we want to remove it in the future. A blue chevron could also be used for allies, so that clan members know to avoid fighting them.

New player experience: As the game has progressed, clans have formed with the specific intention to make the new player experience as bad as possible, without regard for the rest of the meta game. This is an extreme negative in this game. Experienced players can't easily police this, since they are busy with the resource control meta-game and thus have stars and are strong enough for the game to weaken them significantly in the beginner zone, although just as easily this means new players never have to deal with them. At the start of the season, this was not so much of a problem, as there were more people to help out new players. Now only the "trolls" remain in the beginner areas, while the friendlier people have moved on and cooperated out.

A proposal I have heard is that the starting town is specifically a safe-zone until you leave (at which point re-entering the town does not refresh this status), and you cannot do damage on anyone yet. A warning is given before you are about to leave the safe-zone, and that you no longer have protection, but are now able to inflict damage on others. This way the town safe-zone cannot be exploited by people fleeing a fight to get immunity.

Another possibility is to mark these clans that continually gank new players in the beginner zone to have a mark against them so that the new players could group up against them. Designate them as "Tainted" or "Corrupted" for a period of time while they are committing this sort of behavior. The players that continue this take extra damage against friendly or new players only in the beginner zone (first southern area where star players get weakened as well). You lose this attribute once you stop doing this behavior.

Lash

Postby Lash » 01 Mar 2017, 11:49

New player experience: It is clear that the game is very daunting at the start of the game. No clan, hostile starting zone. It could be a good filter for those who will actually like the game style in general. But the game is set up in an interesting way at the moment, in that you actually need a clan more at the start of the game than at any other point in the game, because you have significantly more escape tools later in the game to be self sufficient, and thus play solo if they desire. The feeling of being a helpless runt at the start of the game is interesting, but perhaps too strong a barrier, especially as you learn the interface for the first time.

A proposal could be to make all new players automatically get assigned starter clans, which have a maximum size (4-5?). There exists a certain number of starter clans at the start of the game (5-10?), which are filled automatically in a drafting style. Experienced players or those who don't want a clan can opt out straight away using the normal leave clan system, but can also act as mentors if you are experienced. The beginner will automatically get placed into the starter clan with the least amount of people in them which has at least one of their spoken languages, or a new starter clan is made with that language preference. There are no leaders or inviting into a starter clan, but you can vote to kick out a player from the starter clan, and the kicked player will be placed back in the starter clan pool to be drafted. Once you hit a certain level (5-10?), you are kicked out of the beginner clan automatically. If all beginner clans are filled, then new starter clans are made, and the cycle continues. I'm sure there would be a lot more details for such a system, but these are just some examples.

I'm aware that the above may be against some of the philosophies of the design (no hand holding and no automatically assigned teams), but perhaps a "softer' entry can be a nice thing, with the training wheels coming off for the full experience down the track.

Lash

Postby Lash » 03 Mar 2017, 18:11

Chat interface: There should be some help tips pointing out that you can use different chat channels other than the default "Help", and what they mean. I saw a review by the guy at MMORPG.com get confused by this (link: https://youtu.be/H1E54dkZhpc?t=2m47s ). He was asking for a clan on the "Help" section, when this really should be happening on the "Server" or "Local" chat. Perhaps make "Server" chat the default?

Return to “General Discussion”