Alpha Launch Exploitation

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
ub3r

Alpha Launch Exploitation

Postby ub3r » 02 Dec 2016, 00:24

Greetings,

Wondering if anyone else who's had similar experience wants to chime in...

I've been playing the alpha from 10AM EST - 5PM EST, basically all day today. I've had numerous run ins with a character named Wayne Gretzky, who's blatantly using a warp/teleport hack. The first time I saw this, I thought it could possibly be some sort of network interpolation issue with the character controller, however it became extremely obvious that's not the case. The guy is warping very precisely to stay within archery range, but out of melee range. Multiple people have been talking about him doing it in global chat. I emailed the project lead directly and informed him at about 2PM EST, noting that the guy is probably using cheatengine. He replied shortly after saying they're on top of it and they're aware of the exploitation method.

Since that time, I've been killed by the guy probably 15 times, every single time he warps alllllll over the fucking place and it's nearly impossible to kill him. It's seriously a copy and paste of the old Diablo 2 D2Hackit plugin that let you warp small distances.

Another fun fact, the guy claimed to be in Goblin Preservation Society in Darkfall, which is a pretty well known group of exploiters, certifiably the scum of the internet.

Anyway, needless to say, I'm done with this game until something major changes in this department. This takes 100% of the fun out of the game.

DaiDaiDaiDai

Re: Alpha Launch Exploitation

Postby DaiDaiDaiDai » 02 Dec 2016, 00:35

Hey

Been fighting him all day.

Here is a couple of fights which i recorded which is obvious that he is hacking.

https://www.twitch.tv/zzzdai/v/104610140?t=7m30s
https://www.twitch.tv/zzzdai/v/104610140?t=12m25s

Please get this shit out of the game.

ub3r

Postby ub3r » 02 Dec 2016, 00:44

Yep, that's it.

Lol....

13lackJesus "what's the cd on teleport"
Dai "leather doesn't get teleport"
13lackJesus "ok definitely cheating"

hahaha ;)

DaiDaiDaiDai

Postby DaiDaiDaiDai » 02 Dec 2016, 00:52

Kane
Vanguard Supporter

Postby Kane » 02 Dec 2016, 07:40

I'm really glad you posted this, I took a break earlier too when he was playing not wasting my time against cheaters

Xaiydee
Community Manager

Postby Xaiydee » 02 Dec 2016, 11:40

Hey Dai,

Thanks for posting. We really appreciate the help - especially the videos are great!

We´re looking into this.

Cheers, Xaiydee
"​To decode this signature into a readable form, rot13 it twice."

ub3r

Postby ub3r » 02 Dec 2016, 20:51

Xaiydee, Alex, whoever else at FTG reads this:

Just throwing this out there...

The Exiled is a pretty simple game as far as exploitation goes. It's even more lucrative for cheaters to flock here because it's a Full Loot Open World PvP game, meaning it's almost certainly more fun for them to cheat here and it gets them off even more.

You obviously don't have any automated system in place to sanity check player movement on the server to determine if someone is cheating and instantly ban them. You likely aren't going to take the time to develop this, either, but hopefully I'm wrong.

The conclusion is pretty simple. The only way your game is going to survive is if you train SOMEONE to handle this quick fast and in a hurry. Players like this are the most toxic thing you can possibly have in your game. They're worse than 100 bad reviews, because 9 times out of 10, when they kill someone, that person is just going to quit and never look back, causing even more negative emotions towards your game.

What you need to start doing is have a trained GM shadow them and record the exploitation until it's beyond a reasonable doubt, then IMMEDIATELY ban the person. This shouldn't take hours and it definitely shouldn't take days.

Shit like this completely ruins all your hard work put into making such an awesome game.

That's all. Have a great day everyone.

-Dan

ArshWar

Postby ArshWar » 03 Dec 2016, 03:27

Exact same thing was happening a lot to me today against a player named PapaNurgle. He would constantly teleport around and I couldnt outrun him because of it while I was wearing leather with sprint and he had splint. I said it was cheating bullshit to him and he said he was just lagging very badly. But then I watched him fight mobs after he killed me and he didnt do all of that warping around at all. :x

zerus
Wiki Content Creator

Postby zerus » 03 Dec 2016, 03:52

Not a dev so my answer does not count for much, but as far as I know it is a common technique to wait with implementing sanity-checks and anti-cheat to not give hackers too much of a heads-up in terms of cracking the security measures. Also because there are more important things first(i.e. making the game fun and complete in terms of gameplay).
So just because it's not in yet does not mean it won't be in the future!

Obviously this does not make it okay to hack right now, but it's also not easy to handle. Hopefully devs come up with a good solution so that the Alpha does not get disrupted by this anymore.

I agree that taking care of hackers is a top priority for this game in the long run, and I think the devs know that as well.

Return to “General Discussion”