Skill Targeting

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
Ent

Skill Targeting

Postby Ent » 29 Jul 2016, 21:23

So my problem is with the marker that shows path of travel and destination, the path of travel is okay but the destination being shown by the marker seems off, it always stops at the edge of the target so basically if they decide to move backward it'll just not hit.

Is this intended? i've been compensating by aiming behind the target despite the marker showing it stopping before intercepting, it's kinda deceptive and makes skills like lightning bolt more difficult to aim with.

Suggestions:
simply changing the mechanic to not stop where it collides with an object, just allow it to run through so the player can see the true range and destination of the skill when used.

hagish
Game Developer

Re: Skill Targeting

Postby hagish » 29 Jul 2016, 22:23

We recently changed the preview a little bit to correctly handle the lower collider like ruins and now it is a little off. We will adjust and fix this :)

Ent

Postby Ent » 29 Jul 2016, 22:34

Awesome, thanks! :)

Also appreciating the energy reduction on some robe skills, the play style i was working on was really draining my energy fast.

zerus
Wiki Content Creator

Postby zerus » 29 Jul 2016, 23:55

I think Ent is talking about a different issue, I've been talking about that in the other thread as well. Basically the marker stops at an enemy even though it could go further than that. So if the enemy now goes back a bit, he won't get hit even though the skill could go further than that.

hagish
Game Developer

Postby hagish » 30 Jul 2016, 01:56

Yes, perhaps we need an option so that players can disable the collision preview.
Would you disable it?

Ent

Postby Ent » 30 Jul 2016, 02:56

hagish wrote:Yes, perhaps we need an option so that players can disable the collision preview.
Would you disable it?

I certainly would. Another idea would be to keep the collision preview but have travel preview change color when it's going over the collision preview limit. That way we'd still be able to see where it stops on objects/players but be able to lead shots to predicted locations.

I made that suggestion because sometimes there are small objects infront and can't really tell if LOS is clear, earlier i got stuck in the bush and i ended up sealing myself xD

Anyway, they're just suggestions that i think players might appreciate later, i'm enjoying the game so i'll keep providing feedback.

zerus
Wiki Content Creator

Postby zerus » 30 Jul 2016, 12:28

An idea would be to have the length indicator(the line) always at full range, but the current collision preview (the circle) move backwards according to whatever it'd hit right now.

This way there'd be no need to disable it, you could always predict what happens if you don't actually hit the previewed target.

hagish
Game Developer

Postby hagish » 30 Jul 2016, 12:52

Sounds like a good idea to me :)

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 30 Jul 2016, 20:58

I'll make a note to try this.

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 31 Jul 2016, 11:49

Maybe only use static colliders to limit the range of the preview. Dynamic colliders could use the described color change behind the predicted collision. Prediction of dynamic collision will rarely be correct ....

Return to “General Discussion”