Hadez's Thoughts on F2P

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
LordxHadez
Vanguard Supporter

Hadez's Thoughts on F2P

Postby LordxHadez » 29 Jul 2016, 07:41

I saw that Devs were accepting Free-To-Play suggestions/advice in another post. So here are my thoughts if Das Tal goes that route in terms of monetization.

I'm not a fan of locking content behind a pay wall but that could work out well for Das Tal later especially when it comes to influencing/persuading players to support it. Hardcore players by default have a high chance of throwing money toward the game once they catch the hang of it and enjoy it. The hard part is hooking a casual onto the game and giving them a reason to keep coming back to Das Tal. (returning players after X amount of time get an X amount of time in subscription status to aid them back into the fight for territorial domination)

The game being hardcore, would have to make use of things that could not be lost to avoid losing players.

Cash Shop if included would have to be heavily cosmetic and items that help but not give an unfair advantage(skins for weapons, armor, footprint shapes? Auras? Dyes? even if they go off theme a bit. XD)
Maybe an NPC companion or pet that follows you closely (make it passive and killable/lootable/revivable like a player with its own bag. would be amusing if you put all your loot in your companion for convenience and people target it)
Maybe even make the skins tradable somehow. with exclusive or limited time skin (stealing ideas from MOBA genres though this game has a more defined theme so skin options may be limited but a black dye alone would be enough to get me to reach in my pocket.)

Subscriptions should always be an option for players that want certain benefits or just want to support the game. In both B2P and F2P this could work.
Benefits could include:
Hiding your rank
Minimum Active XP becomes 99%(100% too good XD) for the duration of the subscription
Increased storing speed (not looting speed)
Access to the Backpack(I saw it listed as one of your armors. If it provides bag space that is. Those extra squares are just that valuable in Das Tal...travel is a pain. curious to know what skills the trapper has to offer. XD)
Access to unique name borders/trims or Icons on both sides of name
[Whatever else one could stick here]

Some players may try to call it pay-to-win but just because I'm a C rank doesn't necessarily mean I cant kill an A++, take his/her loot and gear, and donate it all like everyone else. The game still requires SKILL, A C rank is fully capable of outsmarting an A++ but it would be better if you reached B first or even A. Your Rank just tells me your stats/K:D/or the level of your weapons/armor skills. Are you worth attacking? HELL YES High rank sounds like a chance for MORE LOOT!. (Nothing bought would influence rank anyway so GIT GUD)

Pay for convenience? That extra space in your bag you might need. Pay for good looks and the dankest of top hats in the cash shop? Well that player would have to also accept potentially high risks. A fully skinned out player with a backpack & a companion just sounds like a more valuable target to me. They must be carrying SOME LOOT! I gotta kill em or maybe ask kindly for some LOOT.....
(Its not wasting/stealing their money either since they have the benefits for the full duration & everything bought in the cash shop cannot be lost because its not a lootable item stored in ones bag. The rest would be on the player. Just in case a player attempted to come after Devs/Pubs for them losing anything paid for.)

A good strategy in my opinion starting out assuming the beta phase is reached with F2P in mind would be to expose some of the amazing parts of the game to build hype. (stage a fight against an overwhelming amount of NPCs with a boss. show off some content, PvP, and key features. :D)

Free X closed beta keys starting out.

A low-mid priced early access fee for mid beta testing periods(try and get the beta phase on steam for early access. people actually throw money at those. I for one threw money at things I have yet to click play on. XD)

Follow up with announcing those who participate in Beta Testing get X upon release or even during the test (something that stands out almost on the level of founder but not as unique to encourage people to buy into the early access for those that don't already have access. At this stage keep emphasis on the prizes to hold the audience while at the same time conducting the test. Much like how the nomad pack competition is going...well til we wiped out the only people in our way of 1st...on EU but the conflict wont be as small. Free-to-play openings are always overwhelmingly large. XD)

Since the release is on steam, prepare for at least a first weeks flood of players in free to play to avoid rage quiters due to lag. (worst case is if the game gets too popular at the beginning rather than after a few days of opening...both a good and bad thing)

Starter Packs with great deals are also very hard to resist for some of us that jump in and are enjoying ourselves greatly starting out. A one time deal for new players for a limited time to add some pressure. (Its not needed but something to want/crave)

Would also need more appeal for solo players for something they can actually achieve by themselves besides being some of the most annoying unprofitable pests in the game. The players Malus and Methodicus on Sirocco(EU) for example have no base nor a functioning clan but still put up better fights than established clans with overwhelming amounts of members and have no better purpose than to grief on sight because there is nothing else they alone can achieve or Jacker on Chinook(US) sneaking around picking with people stealing resources. Of course they could always attempt a siege but its not worth trying in low numbers currently.

Communicate with the player-base actively, Shoot for a good first impression for the positive reviews on steam and more people will come from that alone just to try Das Tal. The Cash Shop, Subscription or DLC content would have to take over from there for monetization though not guaranteed you may pick up some fans/followers for any project you decide to start. :D

Might be harder to profit if the dev team is too large though but who knows maybe a slower transition from B2P to F2P later if things are feeling too stiff in the studio/office/home/back of a teched out van. Just be open to feedback as usual and the players will voice their concerns in the game, e-mails, forums and reviews.

These are all things that would make someone like myself spend money in a game that I could think of that could function in Das Tal without turning it into everything the west hates(Unresponsive Devs/Pubs + Pay2Win) but the east loves(MICRO-TRANSACTIONS/GACHAS/PAY2WIN). :D

Hadez types too much but he enjoys typing. brainstorming how to make it work is fun. Isn't Hadez awesome? :ugeek:

Z4ipher
Vanguard Supporter

Re: Hadez's Thoughts on F2P

Postby Z4ipher » 29 Jul 2016, 09:55

I dont like the idea of setting the minimum multiplier to 99% or even 20%, because the multiplier was implementet so that players who dont have that much time can still play the game and are not totally left behind. The paying part of the characters would just outlevel the non paying and have a big advantage, because they unlock the skills earlier. (basicially a not that bad pay2win mechanic)

Armor Skins are also not that easy to realize, because you need to clearly see, what type of armor the enemy is using. If these skins are implemented there should be a marker on the enemy information, telling me which level and type he is using (level is debatable) or an obvious similarity between all of the armors of the same type.

Settlement skins would be nice to have.
Aswell as being able to place cosmetics items on your settlement at predefined spots. Some of these cosmetics could be a reward for buying the game in alpha/beta/buying it at all (if it enters f2p at some point) or for reaching a certain fame level, for a certain play time and could be buyable with money.
-----------------W-------O-------N----------------V--------A--------N--------G--------U--------A-------R-------D----------------

Z4ipher, past Member of Uncommon Valor / Defeater of "The Dictator"

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 29 Jul 2016, 10:54

Increased XP gains (or drop rates) are not doable as are other in-game advantages like more storage space.

Cosmetics are definitely an option but they

a) Do not actually make developers of smaller games a lot of money.

and

b) Make it harder to judge your opponent's skill set in PvP.

What we are thinking of adding as an extra pay-for feature is the ability to create new game worlds with custom rule sets and (maybe) limited invites to the server.

Thoughts?

Z4ipher
Vanguard Supporter

Postby Z4ipher » 29 Jul 2016, 17:12

So you basicially mean, that you are able to rent a server, where you can decide on the rules, map layout (maybe even map textures) and players ...
It definately would be an interesting idea, but I don`t know, how good that will work. It will be hard to balance the number of official servers (maybe even no official ones) to the number of "private" ones.

I think a feature that wouldnt be too much work and give money to you to keep the support up for this game would be a supporter subscription (monthly payment) where you get slightly different armor (there shouldnt be more skins for armor in game then) (maybe with golden decorations or so) and a special name color /layout or symbol next to your name. There should be a few more visual advantages (like a banner for your clans settlement as decoration or a small custom colorable halo around you). The monthly fee should be quite low as the subscription doesnt offer you that much of an advantage (gameplay wise actually none).

I still like the idea of settlement skins / more decoration on the settlement. That can be partly unlocked by game progress partly by cash shop.
-----------------W-------O-------N----------------V--------A--------N--------G--------U--------A-------R-------D----------------

Z4ipher, past Member of Uncommon Valor / Defeater of "The Dictator"

LordxHadez
Vanguard Supporter

Postby LordxHadez » 29 Jul 2016, 20:30

@Z4ipher I did my best thinking of an offset for the exp gain because Active XP percentage can go up by resting. Your time away from the game should raise your multiplier anyway. guess I didn't think that through enough. >.< Maybe that can just be for a returning player then for a shorter duration instead of included in a sub?
Of course the minimum multiplier of 99% was just me throwing out a number that irritates people when they see it, like 99.9%. :D

Armor skins not revealing too much about you should be intentional for a difficult fight or just make skins armor specific. Skills also reveal what you're wearing. Weapons are easy to spot based on stance & attacks. Also providing a feeling of uniqueness in the world and in the mind of a hardcore player, an advantage they too would also consider getting to improve chances of victory.

Settlement skins never crossed my mind. I would love that in the current game! but it would only be doable by those in power of the clan. great idea though!

@dbltnk
since monetizing F2PMMOS is all about milking a large audience. The largest audience of F2Ps are usually upon opening. Its only profitable over time if you have lots of eye candy for us and different kinds of candy over time. Don't under estimate skins. Spent $70USD in Smite just to get one skin that required me to go through tiers over a span of 2 weeks. It's possible for Das Tal but making the candy is probably the hard part.
You could also try combining F2P & B2P models. The game is F2P but you still have the option of buying the game. Buyers of course could get all basic cosmetics excluding limited time & exclusive ones. Along with a special frame around your name telling everyone you bought the game. Plus any Future DLC? [couldn't think of more] Make it so that the cosmetics have to be setup outside the server before joining to make it easier on yourselves too. :)

New Game worlds for custom wars sounds hell-a-awesome and would be a plus! Can't say many will buy the feature but It would still be a great feature for those of us who would buy it simply to play with friends or create a custom game mode rather than Classic Das Tal. (I'm assuming you said maybe to invites because those invites are for people who don't own the game? might be a bad move if a player's server gets more popular than the official one. how bout a limited amount of discount coupons instead while whose who own the game can just join if they know the password? that way your still getting something. We players can be a bit abusive XD)

Can the custom world itself be editable using a simplified tool instead of a pre-generated one? (idk if creating the map is that simple in Das Tal but could be a neat feature nonetheless. you could probably make those 2 seperate. Fully-Custom Map Package and a Semi-Custom Map Package?)
and with approval they can be published and used by the FD team for Official Event Servers? or even opened to the public by the creators of a fully custom map assuming FD approves the map/rules?
Similar to Civilization's setup or Chivalry's setup but as a paid feature with more options?

I might be thinking bigger than you want Das Tal to be. Sorry If I am. XD

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 30 Jul 2016, 21:08

Yes, we've actually thought about giving you access to our world-building tools in the future. But that means that we have to make them a LEEEETLE bit more user-friendly first. Dev tools are not for the masses, you know? =D

Return to “General Discussion”