Lag Reduction

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
ManuKuma

Lag Reduction

Postby ManuKuma » 30 May 2016, 19:40

Possible way to reduce the lag-problems with casted blockers, roots, pushes and strong slows:
Make those effects have a "activation time" of ca. 300-600ms. Reduce cast time by that.
This makes the actual cast happen a bit earlier but inserts a timeslot for the information to get to the clients before the effect kicks in. This allows better prediction by the client

ManuKuma

Re: Lag Reduction

Postby ManuKuma » 30 May 2016, 19:50

All displacement skills should be non instant or use an activation time, too. A potential implementation for smooth, reusable, synergistic displacements would be a "move vector effect" implemented similar to buff/debuff/DoT effects. Multiple move vectors can combine, it is easy to add drag, push , displace, ...

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 30 May 2016, 20:12

Use that great hybrid aiming-area system of Das Tal to do a bit more latency hiding - use the clientside prediction of the affected target to prime the serverside target selection.

In detail:
clientside: extrapolate display positions into the future by one way latency time (capped to ~150-200ms). Use that positions to predict the affected targets. Tell the server. serverside: Check if the selected targets are within a certain grace-distance of the serverside selected targets (optimally replicate the clientside prediction based on that clients assumed state of information at the time of the cast check against that and also check against the raw serverside result - tweak grace-distances to make it feel fair for the caster and the target)

(BTW: I really like the aimingsystem - it is a great mix of skill based aiming with area based auto-aim for playability with higher ping - but it can be even better than now)

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 06 Jul 2016, 00:27

http://crowfall.com/en/news/powers-prediction/ ... almost the same solution as in the first post in this thread ...

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 06 Jul 2016, 10:59

Yeah, there are plans to make the game even more responsive by - I believe - similar methods.

One thing though: "Insta-cast" abilities do not generally deal well with 500ms warmup/animation times. And having every single ability on a 500 ms+ cast time feels veeeery sluggish. We tried that a long time ago. =D

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 07 Jul 2016, 08:53

dbltnk wrote:One thing though: "Insta-cast" abilities do not generally deal well with 500ms warmup/animation times. And having every single ability on a 500 ms+ cast time feels veeeery sluggish. We tried that a long time ago. =D

Yep, thats why I limited my proposal to effects affecting movement - those usually make lag most prominent. The warmup idea does not only apply to casting, it can also be used on individual effects of a skill to manage e.g. pushing characters, spawninh blockers, ... in a way that reduces perceived lag.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 07 Jul 2016, 10:52

ManuKuma wrote:
dbltnk wrote:Yep, thats why I limited my proposal to effects affecting movement - those usually make lag most prominent. The warmup idea does not only apply to casting, it can also be used on individual effects of a skill to manage e.g. pushing characters, spawninh blockers, ... in a way that reduces perceived lag.

Aye. First we have two bigger fish to fry in the network department: One out-of-sync-bug and a reduction of traffic.

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 07 Jul 2016, 17:21

dbltnk wrote:Aye. First we have two bigger fish to fry in the network department: One out-of-sync-bug and a reduction of traffic.

What is the current main traffic hog?

hagish
Game Developer

Postby hagish » 08 Jul 2016, 09:57

Initial character/body information if someone enters your interest range and the core sync message (position, direction, is_casting...)

Jarmo
Vanguard Supporter

Postby Jarmo » 08 Jul 2016, 18:08

I believe in you guys, no matter what fixes you come up with, it will be great. A little more responsiveness would be amazing.

I've recently begun developing in C++ and have perused C# and Unity, but am in the middle of changing jobs and recertifying some stuffs, I'd like to make at least one small game at some time in my life.

Cheers.

Return to “General Discussion”