Ideas for Endgame/Economy

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
TKs-FEAR

Ideas for Endgame/Economy

Postby TKs-FEAR » 20 May 2016, 14:04

I love open world full loot pvp games and have played many of this type over the years. I have to say that so far I really enjoy this game and it is in a great state for being an alpha in my opinion. Great job devs!

However, in these types of games after playing for a bit and reaching the endgame you reach a point where you no longer can think of goals other than pvp and look for supplies that let you continue pvping. For the games that I have played and become most interested in this problem was solved mainly with 2 things.
1. Interfaction and Interpersonal politics
2. Ingame economy

I'm sure most of you know this and this is why you like these games but I feel like writing a bunch ATM and it helps me collect my thoughts lol so please don't whine you know this already haha.

The politics of what teams like/ally with what other teams, what teams war with what other teams and why they do so, along with each factions "persona" that they all develop over time go a long way in keeping people interested and involved with the game.

The economy of a game also keeps people interested as many people enjoy trying to amass as much wealth as they can in the game. This is usually accomplished by having some quite rare and high value items that people seek to possess. This in my experience can benefit both lower level new players and the more hardcore players. The hardcore players generally have large amounts of basic necessity items which they will gladly trade in high quantities for just one of these rare top tier items. So if a newer less hardcore player chances across one of these items it can be turned Into to a windfall more beneficial to them than having that item while still struggling to survive. The hardcore player in turn will not need his excess and will gain the unique item he desires that can give him a very slight pvp advantage. It also gives him a goal other than only looking to kill people out of boredom.

Once both of these factors are put together it creates a world that can nearly keep itself going on its own, especially with occasional server wipes that can keep people from simply farming massive fortunes over extended timeframes.

So what I would like to put up for suggestion would be top tier, non craftable loot. It could be simply an armor with some special stats, but what would be more interesting would be some crafting component that when used would give a unique passive effect to an armor or weapon. An example of these effects could be something like "when equipped this will give a 20% bonus to how far you can move the screen and see ahead" or "After damage resistance calculations if the final damage of a physical attack is less than 20 no damage is taken" these are just ideas to demonstrate but the idea is unique effects that do not provide a massive advantage in pvp.

These items could spawn with a very low (0.02%?) chance on carcasses or meteors. They would also of course be lootable equipment/disappear on death so that there is risk to using them. Another option could be that teams fight for control of an area/container that has this very low chance of spawning them at a certain time of day. This will encourage pvp against other strong players rather than running around killing noobs because they have nothing else to do. The problem with that is new or solo players could not participate in the second method with much hope of success. Also there may need to be a way to trade (perhaps caravans you need to team up to defend?) without the other guy ripping you off, but on second thought it could lead to some cool intense standoffs between 2 teams making a big deal mexican standoff style lol.

Anyways I thought it would be good to at least toss the idea out here for discussion and see what others think of it. Thanks for reading my wall of text guys :)

dbltnk
Game Developer

Re: Ideas for Endgame/Economy

Postby dbltnk » 20 May 2016, 14:38

TKs-FEAR wrote:So what I would like to put up for suggestion would be top tier, non craftable loot.

That is right now on our to-do list under the name "Artifacts". Really strong items (+9) with special buffs that cannot be crafted and that have to be looted in a PvP event. Only one exists per server and weapon/armor set. They cannot be banked or hidden and you cannot log out with them. And they ALWAYS drop on death. Plus they very likely are visible on the map. Details: Soon. =D

Alex

TKs-FEAR

Postby TKs-FEAR » 20 May 2016, 14:42

That sounds awesome. Can't wait!

zerus
Wiki Content Creator

Postby zerus » 20 May 2016, 17:30

dbltnk wrote:
TKs-FEAR wrote:So what I would like to put up for suggestion would be top tier, non craftable loot.

That is right now on our to-do list under the name "Artifacts". Really strong items (+9) with special buffs that cannot be crafted and that have to be looted in a PvP event. Only one exists per server and weapon/armor set. They cannot be banked or hidden and you cannot log out with them. And they ALWAYS drop on death. Plus they very likely are visible on the map. Details: Soon. =D

Alex

Not sure I like this idea to be honest. Sounds like something that could make PvP unfair/distorted(whoever has the artefact wins or has an advantage), disturbing the concept of meaningful choices since going for the strongest item isn't really a choice. I love the concept of PvP being purely around player choices in terms of abilities, gear modifiers and clans. Chasing the "epic loot" is something I've done far too often in MMOs already...

But curious about seeing the details before making my final judgement!

Baqqfisch
Vanguard Supporter

Postby Baqqfisch » 20 May 2016, 17:41

zerus wrote:
dbltnk wrote:

Alex

Not sure I like this idea to be honest. Sounds like something that could make PvP unfair/distorted(whoever has the artefact wins or has an advantage), disturbing the concept of meaningful choices since going for the strongest item isn't really a choice. I love the concept of PvP being purely around player choices in terms of abilities, gear modifiers and clans. Chasing the "epic loot" is something I've done far too often in MMOs already...

If it's too weak no one cares about it and if it's too strong... I think there are enough ways to motivate players to keep pvping. Skins, Arena-PvP, achievements, ladder, tournements, GvG...

SoStone
Vanguard Supporter

Postby SoStone » 20 May 2016, 21:56

I think its worth a shot. Artifact items sound saweeeet. Afro samurai style, except not headbands:) And since u cant log off with them you will be constantly hunted. I see the fear in it but I want to try it out to see how it affects gameplay. Maybe a seperate server rule option in the future if peoples opinions are split.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 20 May 2016, 23:22

zerus wrote:
dbltnk wrote:

Alex

Well. Really strong items probably means a 5% power advantage and a XP gain boost so I think you'll manage. =D

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 23 May 2016, 13:40

I guess even much stronger items would work - they just create an situation where 1vs1 is not the solution. Kind of like a tank vs infantry ...

Return to “General Discussion”