Zerus/Baqqfisch's Alpha Feedback [WIP]

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
dbltnk
Game Developer

Re: Zerus/Baqqfisch's Alpha Feedback [WIP]

Postby dbltnk » 15 Sep 2016, 10:37

I tend to agree with Zerus here. Will put the idea of "focus" buffs/debuffs into my to-do list for a little later this year. =D

Alex

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 15 Sep 2016, 15:43

dbltnk wrote:I tend to agree with Zerus here. Will put the idea of "focus" buffs/debuffs into my to-do list for a little later this year. =D

Alex

I actually like the focus buff, too - I just like to check / mention alternatives. If different implementations of the same high level mechanic get proposed, the chance of one being interesting to you is increased :)

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 15 Sep 2016, 15:50

zerus wrote:It feels natural in shooters because you can't see the bullets. You just see the gun firing, and you are pretty much always aware of the concept of spraying. So you not hitting despite directly aiming at the target is kind of expected behaviour with "run & gun".

For The Exiled though you expect that if your projectile hits, it does damage. So to achieve the same feeling you'd need to have projectiles go off path or something, which imho messes too much with how the skills work. The game is already a lot about actually hitting your opponent, adding RNG to that sounds awkward. Working with whats already there and existent(stat boosts/reduction) sounds more fun to experiment with!

(But well, thats just, like, my opinion man :P)

Of course the projectile needs to 'not hit' visually or be off center to visualize accuracy / reduced damage. Similar to the 'random dir in a cone' skills. The server or a deterministic random number would choose the offset on casting, so everything stays the same except that instead of the exact aimpoint (as far as lag allows) a random point near the aimpoint is used. Other uses of this mechanic are also possible: lower accuracy at higher ranges, ...

zerus
Wiki Content Creator

Postby zerus » 15 Sep 2016, 16:38

But thats the point. I think that having the projectile go to a random point near where you're aiming is okay in a shooter, but would feel awkward in here.

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 15 Sep 2016, 21:10

zerus wrote:But thats the point. I think that having the projectile go to a random point near where you're aiming is okay in a shooter, but would feel awkward in here.

- there are already skills with randomized aim
- the reticule could indicate accuracy
- rapid shots would show the spread nicely
- this mechanic also works well in sidescrolling and top down shooters (The Exile is not far from a top down shooter)

-> I think it would be possible to have such a mechanic that integrates nicely and feels natural - if wanted ...

Return to “General Discussion”