Which Game Has the Best Weapon Set?

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
Emissary

Which Game Has the Best Weapon Set?

Postby Emissary » 04 Dec 2015, 14:32

Being a game that has put a fair bit of thought into what weapons we choose, I would really like to hear from you all what games you think have put together a solid set!

I personally have a real soft spot for games that stick to the pretty traditional set of weapons, but venture creatively into what those weapons can look/play like. Or games where there is not 1 type of bow, but 50 types of bow, all with different draw time, range and damage.

You can already see the weapons we have in the works for Das Tal, and I am personally really happy with the direction we have gone. What weapons do you think would fit well in our weapon set? Can you think of anything that would replace one of the decisions we have made? Which of your favorite games have a done a really good job at creating a set of weapons?

dbltnk
Game Developer

Re: Which Game Has the Best Weapon Set?

Postby dbltnk » 04 Dec 2015, 14:51

The Scythe & Spear/Shield in GW1. Albion has a cool Quarterstaff. In Shadowbane: Dual-wield throwing daggers.

PsychoRomeo
Nomad Supporter

Postby PsychoRomeo » 04 Dec 2015, 20:07

Shameless plug for Ragnarok Online, because it's pretty evident this structure will be irrelevant to Das Tal.

Wanna know what I hate? Tiered items. I hate that I can expect that there's an equipment set waiting for me in five levels. I hate that because that means that equipment is a forgettable facet of your power capacity. You grind xp to get levels and stats. You grind money to get gear and stats.

Ragnarok Online was extremely different. There was no level 15 set and level 25 set and level 35 set. Items had a bit of an organic flow to them. A stiletto was equippable at level 12. A damascus at 24. But these weapons weren't gated by their equippable level - they were gated by their price and their availability.

Another good one was Mabinogi (before nexon took a dump in it), which had many crazy combos based on the various speeds of your weapons. The weapon types covered a large range of styles and roles. Axes had lots of crits. Daggers were quick five hit combos. Two handed swords has large windmill range.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

zerus
Wiki Content Creator

Postby zerus » 06 Dec 2015, 22:34

Actually the reason for that was the fact that it was much more efficient to take low level gear with lots of card slots and put tons of modifiers into them. Otherwise a lot of high level gear was gated by equippable level as well. This is even more present after the Renewal Update where card modifiers are a lot weaker and high level gear is more important.

However I really loved the Books in Ragnarok Online. I played all Sage classes so I'm biased, but slapping someone with a book as a battle/autocast Sage is just awesome and it had a unique feel to it.
Katars as a twist on Dualwielding Daggers were pretty great too, especially because they opened up the path to a more interesting type of assassin.

In Guild Wars 1, all weapon types were pretty standard but their skills and combat feel were pretty damn unique. Loved especially monks/ritualists there.
Spear & Shield were great as well, however I still get PTSD from all those Para Pressure teams I faced in HA.

I'd also say Quarterstaff from Albion Online is pretty cool. They remind me a lot of the combat staffs from Dark Age Of Camelot!

What type of weapons I like highly depends on what I can do with them. I can appreciate an unremarkable weapon, such as the standard two-handed staff, if the skills I get from it are unique/fun to play with and offer cool interactions with my opponent. Cool animations and effects then round it off!

An example of this would be the Mesmer from GW1. The weapon is plain and simple, but the utility, animations and gameplay interactions are something I have yet to see done so well in another online RPG.

PsychoRomeo
Nomad Supporter

Postby PsychoRomeo » 07 Dec 2015, 04:31

zerus wrote:Actually the reason for that was the fact that it was much more efficient to take low level gear with lots of card slots and put tons of modifiers into them. Otherwise a lot of high level gear was gated by equippable level as well. This is even more present after the Renewal Update where card modifiers are a lot weaker and high level gear is more important.

I will concede that the trans and renewal updates broke away from this.

zerus wrote:but slapping someone with a book as a battle/autocast Sage is just awesome and it had a unique feel to it.

Ahh, yes. Especially on higher rate servers where your attack speed is maxed. You hold left click - wait for it - then lag out from number fountain.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Lustmord
Harbinger Supporter

Postby Lustmord » 13 Dec 2015, 13:00

Boomerangs in Bloodline Champions are really cool, because the chance to hit multiple enemies on the throw/return by clever positioning adds an extra something to the combat.

I also liked Zeal Paladins from Diablo 2. Basically fast hitting multi-strikes with a sword and board.

Anything that specializes in Life Drains and dark magic is what makes me drool.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 13 Dec 2015, 14:46

Lustmord wrote:Boomerangs in Bloodline Champions are really cool, because the chance to hit multiple enemies on the throw/return by clever positioning adds an extra something to the combat.

You are totally right. The Nomad's boomerang is awesome. Might incorporate that into our "Skirmisher" weapon set which is intended to use a sling shot but could of course also use a boomerang for mor interesting flight physics.

Thoughts?

Lustmord
Harbinger Supporter

Postby Lustmord » 13 Dec 2015, 22:23

dbltnk wrote:
Lustmord wrote:Boomerangs in Bloodline Champions are really cool, because the chance to hit multiple enemies on the throw/return by clever positioning adds an extra something to the combat.

You are totally right. The Nomad's boomerang is awesome. Might incorporate that into our "Skirmisher" weapon set which is intended to use a sling shot but could of course also use a boomerang for mor interesting flight physics.

Thoughts?

Yeah, you could. Do you have the Skirmisher abilities concepts already?
That's 2 ranged weapons for one set, both would be relatively short range.. might be a little redundant.

I'd like to see Boomerangs be a Main weapon, not just a single attack offhand weapon (like the chains attack for a scythe).
If you add it to the Sling Set, I'd prefer the Boomerang be the main weapon and the Sling be the offhand attack.

If you had a sling in one hand in a boomerang in the other, how would you load rocks into the sling?

Boomerangs would also probably be good with an offhand melee knife weapon like this:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/ ... rt=mozilla

Lustmord
Harbinger Supporter

Postby Lustmord » 13 Dec 2015, 22:36

Also, you could remove the chains attack from Scythe and make Chains a weapon set of it's own.
Make it a short range CC weapon set.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 14 Dec 2015, 00:20

Lustmord wrote:Also, you could remove the chains attack from Scythe and make Chains a weapon set of it's own.
Make it a short range CC weapon set.

Could happen at some point. Right now a lot of abilities are on weapon/armor sets that they were not designed for since we only have a couple in game. More variation here is definitely needed and wanted - when we have the time/budget for it.

@Boomerang with a machete off-hand: Very cool concept. Will take that into account when going back into design on that weapon set. Currently it was "just " another mid-range splash damage weapon with a physical/magic mix and some extra PB/CC abilities. But maybe I'll re-design it to takr that into a ccount and make it a melee/range hybrid.

Return to “General Discussion”