Slogan / Claim: Preliminary Sentiment Analysis

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
dbltnk
Game Developer

Slogan / Claim: Preliminary Sentiment Analysis

Postby dbltnk » 13 Oct 2015, 00:38

So we asked a couple of you (via email) to tell us what they think about our recent try at putting together an improved claim for the game. The one we tested is the following chimera:

Das Tal - The Open World Survival Arena
Where MOBA tactics meet Sandbox MMO Strategy.

Here are the first couple dozen answers in numerical form. Note that I grouped "too long " and "not catchy enough" (32x) as negative sentiments.

name-analysis.png
name-analysis.png (12.92 KiB) Viewed 6832 times

What do you think this means? What's your take on the issue?

Emissary

Re: Slogan / Claim: Preliminary Sentiment Analysis

Postby Emissary » 13 Oct 2015, 11:43

Biggest surprise for me I think is the dislike (if indifference) of 'Arena'.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 13 Oct 2015, 13:17

Updated the numbers.

name-analysis.png
name-analysis.png (10.01 KiB) Viewed 6740 times

I guess the problem with Arena is that it conjures a very small, very limited area. "WoW Arena" came up a couple times as a negative example.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 14 Oct 2015, 17:44

Here's another update. Does not look like the trends are changing anymore.

name-analysis.png
name-analysis.png (9.79 KiB) Viewed 6669 times

I thought about replacing "Arena" with "Battlefield". Similar meaning but it sounds bigger & invokes memories of BF1942 which was a great game. Also thinking about replacing strategy (which nobody understanda anyways) with PvP (which was kinda missing. That leaves me with this. Thoughts?

The Open World Survival Battlefield
Where MOBA PvP meets Sandbox MMO Tactics.

I kinda want to remove survival for brevity reasons. But people seem to like it ...

Pavlov
Seeker Supporter

Postby Pavlov » 15 Oct 2015, 00:20

Might want to be careful with the word 'survival'. These days people associate it with games like Rust or ARK. I know a guy who plays every survival game that comes out, and he'd probably be disappointed that this game doesn't involve punching trees to get bark.

The game really is an MMO, it's just that it defies enough of the things people associate with MMOs that it seems to give the wrong impression. There might just not be a magical tagline you can use to succinctly describe your game. That doesn't mean you should stop trying though.

Emissary

Postby Emissary » 15 Oct 2015, 06:59

Yes, well put Pavlov. I think we will just keep brainstorming on the sidelines until something seems to fit best. I actually thought of the word 'conflict' the other day and thought it might work well. As a noun, not a verb. Something along the lines of "Ongoing Open World Conflict".

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 15 Oct 2015, 09:02

"World" and "Battlefield" somehow feel a bit redundant - both refer to the environment
If you cut "World", the you can also change "Open" to other synonyms e.g. "Free", "Free Style", "Dynamic",...
"Battlefield" and "Survival" also have redundant parts - a battlefield implies survival challenges in a combat environment
I like "Survival",too, but for me it always includes a component of managing vital resources (e.g. die without food) - afaik that is not part of DasTal (but could, see my suggestions of a "Food" resource to relating to the efficiency of workers at Buildings in Settlements, Mines, etc...
RPG / Character Progression and Base Building aspects are not directly mentioned. Base Building could be part of "World" or "Battlefield", but is not mandatory/expected when you hear that term.

Open World Battlefield ?
Open Survival Battlefield ?
Open World Survival ?
Open Battlefield ?

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 15 Oct 2015, 12:03

Pavlov wrote:Might want to be careful with the word 'survival'. These days people associate it with games like Rust or ARK.

We're aware of this. It's a bit of a calculated risk to get people interested who would normally play DayZ or similar "Survival" games for PvP reasons and not for "I'm gonna craft a table" reasons. Sebi noted very early on that we might anger people who expect a more Minecraft-like experience - but for those people I'll run a very lenient refund policy.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 20 Oct 2015, 16:38

ManuKuma wrote:Open World Battlefield ?
Open Survival Battlefield ?
Open World Survival ?
Open Battlefield ?

Open World Survival Battleground?

Kenpokiller

Postby Kenpokiller » 20 Oct 2015, 20:33