Big world map - not enough resources?

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
Penanito

Re: Big world map - not enough resources?

Postby Penanito » 06 Apr 2015, 19:36

What makes solo play worthwhile Isn't the aspect of not having to depend on anyone else, not for me anyways.

It is knowing that there are people out there with big clans and big settlements, and you're alone striving to survive. Solo play in this kind of game is kind of a 'Hardcore' difficulty, which is what makes it fun for me.

This is kind of going more in-depth of what I originally meant but I guess sooner than never to discuss proper solo play buffs. Don't really have any ideas right now and I have to go soon but the essentials are:

-Buffs would help you a little to run away from a clan (If you deal damage to them you lose the buff momentarily)
-Buffs would not give you an advantage over other solo players
-Buff strength would be determined on Solo play duration/achievements
-More map navigation

Again the point of any solo player is for it to be difficult to survive so its best to keep the buffs as underpowered as possible.

PsychoRomeo
Nomad Supporter

Postby PsychoRomeo » 06 Apr 2015, 21:48

Well, we've got a lot of discussion about solo players surviving, but maybe the root of the issue is that solo players are getting attacked in the first place.

How about adding disincentives for clans to kill solo players? Let solo players war among themselves. Examples of disincentives:

Some negative to attacking without provocation - make your character and affiliation known to all other clans on the map after an 'assault'?
-In conjunction with an ability to circumvent this by some kind of 'you're loitering, move away or be attacked' kind of ability.
Make it clear when a player has a lot of stuff to loot off them. Armor color and shape indicates tier currently, maybe a backpack or pouch indicates how full their bag is? Solo players can feel safer by traveling light.
Some kind of clan [ savage - benign - benevolent ] rating that refers to how douchebaggy the members are being?

These examples (except the first) don't hinder solo players while adding calculated risk for death gangs sweeping through the area.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 06 Apr 2015, 23:18

There will be no measures to discourage PvP. No flags or debuffs or anything. I like to approach this from the other way: What makes happy/alive solo players useful to clans?

Penanito

Postby Penanito » 07 Apr 2015, 00:32

Yeah you should be able to kill whoever you want without any penalties.

PsychoRomeo
Nomad Supporter

Postby PsychoRomeo » 07 Apr 2015, 07:37

It's not really discouraging PvP as much as it's disincentivizing mismatched target choice. Clans would only be getting pennies from solo players when they get wads of cash from their nodes. What is there stopping them from murdering every passerby? Death squad random murder is fun, easy, quick, and just a tiny bit profitable, unless you have things like notoriety (third suggestion) to maintain.

I see little reason for clans to be happy with solo players running around with the current mechanics. The only thing I got off the top of my head would be to create a butterfly - flowerbed relationship between solo players and clans, though I have no idea how that would manifest.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

ManuKuma

Postby ManuKuma » 07 Apr 2015, 19:23

I like solo play, because clan politics do not go well with me - aided by anonymity and immature players they easily become a giant childish mess. And even if not, I do not enjoy power politics of clan life.

I enjoy adhoc cooperative play and tend to go for a niche role with strong specific powers and combine that with goal oriented play. i.E. in BF2 I would choose AntiTank with Shotgun (or SpecOps with Suppressed Rifle and C4), join a small Squad going for the Capture Points at the Flanks while preventing Armor from free movement. Any Armor going for our current Capture Point would be up for a tough fight. 1 Tank vs. 1 AntiTank is hard, but manageable, especially if there is some other distraction for the Tank or suitable cover. The Shotgun or Suppressed Rifle promote sneaking around and hitting hard when getting near and in a good position. C4 may also help with traps while AntiTanks blast range can be used to force someone out of cover.

So in Das Tal, I probably would like to play a kind of mercenary, thief, rebel, assassin joining any team that needs help when I've got time to play. I might have preferred or avoided clans/teams/individuals over time. I'd like to go for resource transports, stored goods, sabotaging production capability of preferably the largest or meanest clan. I maybe would even try assassinations of players that particularly angered me or someone who is offering something. I would also allow newbies / weak players join a small group going for som moderate target - and maybe use them as a distraction. If they are nice enough, they would get part of the spoils. I would also like to develop a kind of standing/reputation with a non player controlled faction by paying my loot to them in exchange for access to skills and equipment - I don't want to barter with players for that essential part of progression.
Varied missions would be most enjoyable (e.g. translate all gamemodes of a teambased shooter like Of GuardsAndThieves: VIP, Thieves, CTF, ZRush, Bomb). Depending on the objective, very unbalanced teams can have a lot of fun: e.g. 1-3 Thieves with powerful hiding can move against 10+ defenders, with a good defensive map-layout and some other bonus (home base spawn / healer, etc) a small group of defenders can hold out against a rush of attackers. A small group with some sneaking and combat power may be able to plant that fire-bomb at an enemies base.
Unexpected or extreme loadouts would be my thing: sacrifice all but 3 skills and have no armor for advanced hiding and a grappling hook to get over that walls. Add a backstabbing dagger that is difficult to use and I'm happy. Traps or distractions for setting up an escape - great. For other occasions: Something t allow for hit & run...
Would also enjoy helping defending against those tactics - if it does not mean just waiting around. Some camping is fine and intense, if you know that someone is going to try to get past you. Or getting that VIP-mule home - interesting job. But clans would not trust me with their mule, would have to be my own or a NPC-faction mule.
Maybe have something like "nighttime" so there is a timeslot where you can expect those kind of attacks.

Another thing:
Any kind of leaderboards that do not directly mirror goal oriented play usually add to non core game related behaviour just to be on top of that boards. i.E. if you play a CTF game and people go for kills, because the scorelist is sorted by kills...

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 07 Apr 2015, 20:01

ManuKuma wrote:Any kind of leaderboards that do not directly mirror goal oriented play usually add to non core game related behaviour just to be on top of that boards. i.E. if you play a CTF game and people go for kills, because the scorelist is sorted by kills...

Yeah. That is why we are currently tracking kills and deaths but we're not showing them in the leaderboard.

Return to “General Discussion”