(How) Should we do a Kickstarter?

Here you can talk about everything related to The Exiled.
dbltnk
Game Developer

(How) Should we do a Kickstarter?

Postby dbltnk » 07 Apr 2015, 17:31

So I just posted this on the blog. What do you think?

--

Today I have a special question for you: Should we start a Kickstarter campaign for the game - and if so how?

I’m asking this because we recently had a visit from someone at Kickstarter who offered us a great promotion opportunity. And since many of you have suggested we should do a Kickstarter anyways, we’re now seriously considering it as a way to fund a specific part of the game (more details on that soon).

We are pretty optimistic. There are now over 8.000 people waiting for Das Tal who have signed up with us in one way or another. And the game has never been as fun and beautiful as what we have shown recently.

But we want to do this the right way. We want to figure out what you think about Kickstarter. Is it the right time to do this now? What backer rewards you would be interested in? Would you help out our campaign by talking about it?

So if you have five minutes then please have a look at our short survey and tell us what you think:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12Lt_Wn ... 0/viewform

Thanks a lot!

Alex

PsychoRomeo
Nomad Supporter

Re: (How) Should we do a Kickstarter?

Postby PsychoRomeo » 07 Apr 2015, 17:58

What's the turn out on the surveys? Personally I think they're rather effective, but is that true on your end too?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Kenpokiller

Re: New Blog - How we should (and shouldn't) pay for games!

Postby Kenpokiller » 07 Apr 2015, 18:08

In response to your survey
I think everyone is accepting for a kickstarter, I mean we all love killing eachother why not back it?
It's just that as much as I would like to support the game through kickstarter and I think you're great at developing this game. There's no way to tell whether or not you will have sufficient funds. You can make estimates and such but it'd be utter shame if suddenly development stopped because you(r team) ran out of funding. It's good to start but in the long run?

Anyhow you've listed great rewards already, I really don't have much to add. Love the taunt/gravestone idea.

Hope this game takes off.

Perhaps if community keeps growing we can eventually go the CSGO/DOTA/UNREALENGINE4 way?

"What can you do in return"?

Try to help with such an enormous endeavor?

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 07 Apr 2015, 19:58

PsychoRomeo wrote:What's the turn out on the surveys? Personally I think they're rather effective, but is that true on your end too?

Pretty good so far. The pre-test had a return rate of around 30% (out of about 300 people). And feedback has been very positive so far - though some people are wary of Kickstarters, especially for MMOs.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Re: New Blog - How we should (and shouldn't) pay for games!

Postby dbltnk » 07 Apr 2015, 20:00

Kenpokiller wrote:Perhaps if community keeps growing we can eventually go the CSGO/DOTA/UNREALENGINE4 way?

What does that mean for you?

grayfox
Alpha Tester

Postby grayfox » 07 Apr 2015, 20:35

kick-starter is a good opportunity for das-tal in my openion. People like to backup alot of games so it is a high possibility for people to back the game up , however people are getting aware that many kick-starter games are never finished , released or cancelled so they might be a bit hesitant to backup the game.

Unless you guys have to put alot of money for you to be featured in kickstarter (dont know how it works exactly , if you have to pay to be on it or not) you dont have much to lose and much to gain.
We are not Tools for the Goverment.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 07 Apr 2015, 21:29

grayfox wrote:Unless you guys have to put alot of money for you to be featured in kickstarter (dont know how it works exactly , if you have to pay to be on it or not) you dont have much to lose and much to gain.

The main cost for us is time. A proper campaign would keep half of our team busy for 2-3 months. Which sucks. But then it will enable us to do a lot of undisturbed work afterwards (and add some new/old team members) which should make it worth it.

PsychoRomeo
Nomad Supporter

Postby PsychoRomeo » 07 Apr 2015, 21:55

I forgot to write about pricing in my survey. How much would immediate access/beta release/release cost?

Because (and I mean this in the most constructive way possible) asking $30 for Das Tal in its current state is ludicrous in my opinion. When hype isn't involved, early access (and especially fundraisers) should be cheaper than release, right?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

grayfox
Alpha Tester

Postby grayfox » 07 Apr 2015, 22:56

no it shouldnt be cheaper. you are choosing to buy the full game now and have early access. it wont make sense you pay 5 euros or so for the game because it is still alpha....

you choose to support them and buy the full game now instead of waiting until release.
We are not Tools for the Goverment.

dbltnk
Game Developer

Postby dbltnk » 07 Apr 2015, 23:46

I'm not 100% sure about the exact pricing yet but we're definitely not going for the bargain bin. That is something yo can do if you "just do this is your spare time" or if you expect to have millions and millions of players for your flappy birds clone or your "survival sandbox". We are spending years of our time just to create one single game for a very focussed niche of players. That means we have to charge a proper price. Look at other recent MMO kickstarters and the dev supporter and you'll get a feeling for it.

Return to “General Discussion”